Sunday, March 16, 2008

A New Twist On An Old Sweet

If you scroll down you will find a recipe for these really yummy Caramel Chocolate Bars. They are truly out of this world.

I went to Walmart the other day. There was a table with some Girl Scouts standing around it selling the yearly cookies. The sign on the table read, "LAST CHANCE FOR COOKIES". SCARE TACTICS at their finest. I was a bit sad thinking I would not be able to get a box of those delicious SAMOAS for one more year? How tragic. Then I thought about those Caramel Chocolate Bars and with that recipe below, I can recreate that caramel-ly, chocolate, and toasted coconut deliciousness whenever I want. I turned my frown upside down!

I simply placed some shredded coconut in a pan and toasted it in a 350 degree oven, checking it every couple of minutes for the perfect brown hue. It toasted pretty quickly. I set that aside and made the bars. I then substituted the toasted coconut for the sliced almonds. I have to say, when I served them as desert at dinner, people commented on how they were better than the Girl Scout cookie. So, if the Caramel, Chocolate and Coconut cookie is one of your favorites, you too can sleep better knowing you do not have to wait a year. Praise God, there is a placebo! :)

No comments: