Monday, May 26, 2008

Green Salsa

Our family friends/relatives from Palos Verdes introduced this Strange Green Stuff to our family. I do not have the correct recipe, but this is my concoction with ingredients I vaguely remember from my childhood. I remember the Green Salsa as I lovingly referred to it. This green stuff scared me a bit. It looked weird and one of the ingredients just seemed plain wrong to eat. I would not actually scoop some of the dip onto my Dorito. Instead I would dunk it to get some of the juice which was tasty, but I was afraid of the chunky stuff. Here is my recipe. I still won't get the chunky stuff on my chip. Whatever! Everyone else can scoop the chunks, I choose to dunk. Thank you.

Jamie's Green Salsa

One 16 oz jar Herdez Salsa Verde
One 16 oz jar Napales (I usually only use half of it and refrigerate the other half for the next time I make green salsa) Yep, this is cactus!
Half of one large white onion chopped
4 Green onions sliced
One avocado
a few shakes cumin
half of one bunch cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 of lemon or lime to squeeze the juice from

I usually make two containers of this Green Salsa. One with avocado and one for Robby without. Divvy up the Salsa Verde into one or two containers, depending on your desire to cater to those avocado haters.

Remove napales from jar. Rinse the napales if your jar says to do so. Chop napales into small bite size pieces and add to the salsa verde. Add your chopped onions and stir. Halve the avocado, remove seed and make slices horizontally and vertically into the skin of avacado. Remove avo (that is how Ella refers to it) from the skin with a spoon and stir into the onion/salsa verde mixture.

Rinse and dry cilanto. Pick leaves off of stem and then chop. Add the cilantro to salsa and stir. Shake cumin to taste as well as salt and pepper. Stir and then squeeze the fresh lime or lemon juice into salsa and stir. Refrigerate until ready to use. Serve with Dorito Nacho cheese chips. Dip or scoop your chip however you choose. Enjoy the verdent salsa.

2 comments:

FishMama said...

Yeah, you do have the ingredients wrong. But, seeing as you don't like the chunks, I understand. No salsa verde...just cactus, tomatoes, cilantro, red onion, and avocado. Lots of avo.

For a chunky version that you might like: Just sub rinsed and drained black beans for the cactus.

Monroegirl said...

Jamers, You ROCK and I am loving this blog! I made this stuff yesterday and How loves it! I didn't notice any problems with it...but, I am a midwesterner! HAHA! I hope all is well and thanks for the awesome recipes! You are my HERO! Love ya, Laurie