Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Deviled Eggs

Deviled Eggs... I have never ate one. I have a sincere dislike of eggs. I especially loathe the little white funky thingies that hang off both sides of the yolk. You might notice that I make notations on certain recipes, like following egg, white thingies removed. But I hard boil them and make Egg Salad for Rob or on occasion for Sunday dinners or Superbowl I make Deviled Eggs. I've even been known to sunny side up an egg a time or two. But deviled eggs. Are they evil? "The term deviled came from 18th century England, relating to cooking in fiery hot spices or condiments." -Ron Lester. Check out his informative article here http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/216014/the_origin_of_the_deviled_egg.html?cat=22

28413 Deviled Eggs

1 dozen eggs boiled and shells peeled
1/2 cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper
Extra Spicy Hungarian Paprika

Slice your eggs in half. Voila, 24 appetizers. Carefully remove the yolk halves into a small mixing bowl. Set the deviled egg shells on a platter. Mash the yolks up with a fork. Add the mayo and mix it up, until a bit creamy. Salt and pepper the mixture and stir. If you like your yolk mix creamier add more mayo.

I make my D. Eggs fancy by putting an icing tip in a sandwich sized Ziploc bag. I trim the corner of the bag. Put the icing tip part in the bag and twist the part to secure tip in the bag. Spoon the yolk mixture into the Ziploc and pipe the yellow mixture into the egg white shells. After all the shells are filled, pour some paprika into your hand and sprinkle a pinch of paprika onto each D. Egg. They sure look extra perty with the fancy tip piped yolk mix.

Other toppings or additions you might want to consider:
Bacon
green onion
a slice of black olive
diced ham
salsa
tabasco

Serve with pride.

No comments: