Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sponge Candy, Honeycomb, Sea Sponge aka. REALLY GOOD LIGHT AS AIR CANDY

I first stumbled across this stuff in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota. I was there for a wedding. On one of the last days, it was rainy, I was staying at the St. Paul hotel and I suited up and headed out umbrella in hand and walked a couple blocks to the store filled with sugar...

Candyland. If you are ever in Minnesota's Twin Cities, I highly recommend you go there. If you are flying, plan to have an extra suitcase to fill with your sweet loot! Check out their website www.candylandstore.com.

When I returned home, I enjoyed tasty popcorn and the sponge candy! When the sponge candy ran out, I had withdrawls and then I went cyber surfing to find a recipe. This website is amazing. Truly amazing and it doesn't stop with sponge candy. There are lots of recipes. If you have time and like fudge, they have fudge types I have never even heard of. The site is www.thatsmyhome.com/general.sponge.htm

That's My Home's Sponge Candy

1 cup sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 T. vinegar
1 T. baking soda

Combine sugar, corn syrup and vinegar in a heavy saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Then cook to 300 degrees F or to the crack stage. Remove from heat and stir soda in quickly as it will froth up almost double or triple in size. Pour into a buttered pan. Cool and break into pieces.

Candyland covered their sponge candy with dark or milk chocolate and WOW. This stuff is amazing!

I have made this with light corn syrup and brown sugar. Very good anyway. I am going to try it with honey one of these days. They call it honeycomb... hmm?

No comments: